Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thoughts From The Mall


The Mall is a magical place full of retail wonder and people watching splendor. People in pajamas, people in suits, people with kids...you name it, The Mall has it. Being as I was recently employed by a large retailer at the local Mall, I have had some time to make some observations. Here is what I have come up with.
Stuff That Goes On In The Mall

1. There is an air of "It's all about me."
2. Food Court = No Rules.
3. Escalators are often mistaken for jungle gyms.
4. Nobody ever really knows what's going on.
5. Most people don't care...about anything.

Allow me to explain.

1. As I said, people show up wearing and doing all sorts of ridiculous things. Wearing pajamas, wearing bikini tops, screaming on cell phones, using the MP3 player function on their phone...on speaker...at full blast. These are all things I run into at The Mall. Seriously? News Flash: There are a lot of other people at The Mall. Most of them do not care about your love of country music, Hello Kitty PJ's, or the fight you are having with your significant other. You are almost NEVER the only person there. Can we keep this in mind when we get in the car? Please? Please? Thanks.
This is a perfect time for my Say It Out Loud Rule. It goes like this: If you are about to do something that seems normal, say it out loud. "I am going to wear Hello Kitty PJ Pants and a 'wife beater' to The Mall." If it STILL sounds like a good idea, then do it. If it sounds like a bad idea, stop yourself immediately. The SIOLR is flawless. Always. You can use that. You're welcome.

2. I saw some kids throwing food today while a security guard was standing right there saying...NOTHING AT ALL! Wow. Also, the Sbarro guy was loudly shouting the fact that they had "hot pizza." Nuh-uh. At a pizza shop? Uncanny. Perhaps the people that were not in line for the heralded pizza didn't know it existed, despite the sign advertising for it...that was lit up. Helpful Hint: Dude, tomorrow, yell about the pasta. Nobody really thinks about pasta there. Someone might say "No shit? Pasta? Is there Ziti? I AM IN!"

3. Down means down. Up means up. When I say "Get off the escalator, where are your parents?" what I am really saying is, "If you were my kid I would snatch you off of that thing so fast you wouldn't know if you were trying to go up the down, or down the up." They were teenagers. Trying to RUN up the escalator explicitly labeled "Down." Grow up. And the first time I ask you to stop had better be the last, or you will be shopping somewhere else. Just saying.

4. "Where is mom?" "Who is that for?" "Why can't I have this?" "I JUST BOUGHT YOU PANTS WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM!?" I suggest simply having an easy game plan before you arrive. Write it out. Here is an example:
-We are here for X
-No, you may not have Y
-We are not eating
-If we separate, meet at Z
-You can/cannot have it because I said so and you don't wear/use the one I already bought you. Do you even know where it is?
This should eliminate any questions. Also, it may eliminate passengers who were interested in anything other than X, wanted Y, were hungry, do not know where Z is, or are tired of their parent's bullshit cliche answers to questions.

5. This is evident by the first four items on this list. If you cared, you wouldn't let the little shits throw fries. You would put on some jeans or something. You would not let your kids climb on the escalators. Also, nobody would argue with their kids, which usually results in a parent saying, "I don't care, you aren't doing/getting/going to it."

So next time you go to The Mall, keep these things in mind. Or better yet, don't go. Shop online.

Should you consider your other options and still see it fit to go to The Mall, I have two bits of wisdom: 1. Give a fuck. 2. BE CAREFUL! It's a jungle out there.

--
JPD

3 comments:

Ortizzle said...

Brilliant. And brilliantly funny.

Here's my pet peeve with mall rats (which also goes for supermarkets and any store basically):
Follow the MAFT rule! MAFT = Move Aside For Traffic. This does not refer to parking at the mall, but rather pedestrian traffic within the wall. Like when people run into their friends at the mall and park themselves in the middle of the main thoroughfare, nattering on forever, and blocking people like me who just want to find the most expedient way of getting from A to B. Or a family of five with a baby stroller, etc., that walk at a snail's pace, all five abreast, effectively blocking people in either direction.

So... if people followed the MAFT rule, that would make it a little less of a jungle for me. :-)

Nance said...

Ortizzle--Let me piggyback on your MAFT rule a bit and say that I find Stroller Parents the single most annoying Traffic Jammers in the universe. People with strollers act like A) they are the FIRST PEOPLE TO HAVE EVER PROCREATED B) they are the only people in the world who matter because THEY HAVE A CHILD*!* C) they cannot possibly be bothered with courtesy because SEE A and B.

Now, to JPD--This Stuff is why I avoid The Mall and "Our" Mall in particular. Frustrating, depressing, and downright annoying. I'll stick to the "Lifestyle Centre" about 20 minutes east, thank you. And pretty soon, you will too!!

Mikey G. said...

The MAFT rule needs to be applied everywhere and in every situation. I cannot stand how slowly the vast majority of people move. Get out of my way!

I just looked at the website of the mall in question, and they amusingly have directions from the turnpike, from the other local freeway, and for taking a taxi. It literally says that you should tell the taxi to drop you off at the mall. LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails