Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What In The Hell Am I Talking About?

Did you ever hear something come out of your mouth and think, That's something I never thought I'd hear myself say"? That happens to me way more than I care to admit. Here's my list of

Stuff I Can't Believe I Heard Come Out Of My Own Mouth

1. They should have put a hip roof on that shed.
2. Who is available as a free agent at the All Star break?
3. With his speed and heat, Kerry Wood should have been a closer all along.
4. They are going to lose control of that concrete in this heat if they don't put some water on it.
5. The Titans will never cover that spread; I think the line is way off this week.

I know, right? Who is writing the post this week? This is what happens when an artsy-literary-foodie marries a carpenter/construction/sporty guy and gives birth to two sons. It's called self-defense. I now have an expanded lexicon that includes building and carpentry terms like hip roof, and sports terms like free agency and closer. During one memorable dinner, I mastered the complexities of the NBA's midlevel exception and Bird rights and how it all related to "our" team, the Cleveland Cavaliers. Good heavens. And while last year, I couldn't even sit through a football game, this year I'm in the family pool and betting the Vegas line. (Which I detest, by the way. I can do swimmingly picking the winners, but is that enough for Jared? Oh, no. For it is not enough to know who is better. "Anyone can know that, Mom," he says derisively. "The challenge is to know how much better they are. And that is the point spread." Sigh. Why is he so difficult?)

What about all of you? What do you find yourself talking about that amazes you? Let's see if your stuff expands our vocabulary!

4 comments:

Rick said...

This is what happens when a carpenter/construction/sporty guy marries an artsy-literary-foodie:

1. That's redundant.
2. Lets go to NOTL to taste wine and see a play.
3. Was Daniel Day-Lewis in that movie?
4. Is that Tarragon in there?

You're right, It't self defense
Rick

Nance said...

Rick--You know, I was going to mention the other side of the coin in my post--about how you have also picked up a few new things out of sheer self-defense too, but as you know, IT'S ALL ABOUT ME. lol.
**note to readers--"NOTL" is short for Niagara-on-the-Lake.

JPD said...

oh mother. i am not difficult, i just hold you to a higher standard than most mothers are held when it comes to things like that. anything less would be a dissapointment, only because the bar has been set so high heretofore.

look, everyone should have a basic knowlegde of the salary structure of their favorite sport. otherwise you sound like a moron. one of my top 5 sports pet peeves.

--
jpd

Nance said...

JPD--You hold me to a higher standard than you do most other PEOPLE.

And your last sentence sounds like a post topic. Hint hint.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails