Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Top Five Songs We Hate


For our first Entry, we're each going to put up a list. After that, the Entries will likely be staggered. Don't hold us to that, however; one of us is a bit more apt to post in a timely manner than the other. Ahem.
Without any further ado, here is my list of Top Five Songs I Hate, in no particular order:

1. Kokomo by The Beach Boys
2. Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett
3. Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer by Dr. Elmo (??)
4. Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
5. Paradise by the Dashboard Light by Meatloaf

Just by way of general commentary--because I don't feel any of these needs an explanation for inclusion on this list--let me state that I expect major flak for #4 from all you leftover hippie stoners who are still glassy-eyed and coughing from the Seventies and yelling, "Hey, that's like, a Classic, dude!" and holding up the horned finger gesture for rock 'n roll. Shut up. It's a boring, overrated song sung in a nasally flat, tonally uninteresting manner. And #3 is the most retarded, rednecked bastardization of the Yuletide tradition I have ever heard. If I have heard one West Virginian-accented male voice hee-haw his way through a request for this little ditty on the radio, I have heard a thousand. Time to thin the herd. And that last one? Oh, please.

Jared's turn now.

All of those are solid. But here's the thing: I don't necessarily mind Free Bird. If it's on, I'll listen to it with no real objections. I may skip it half way through. Too long. Here's mine.

1. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
2. Footloose by Kenny Loggins
3. Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond
4. Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) by Meatloaf
5. Electric Blue by Icehouse

A quick comment on them individually. Sweet Caroline has been ruined for me by sporting events. When did this become a Jock Jam? More importantly, why? Also, what is it that Meatloaf won't do? I figure it must be pretty serious if he would do everything else. Does anyone have any idea what "It's all over you / Electric Blue" means? Me either. Dear Def Leppard, take a shower. Sincerely, This Guy. And Footloose is just stupid. It's too long and too upbeat. Nobody should be able to sustain that energy level for that long. That, and Kevin Bacon.

8 comments:

MARY G said...

You forgot Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Nance said...

Mary G--I consider those "kid songs" which are in an annoying class by themselves, as in "all kid songs are annoying."

J. said...

Anything Meatloaf will have me racing across a room to turn off the radio. "Dashboard" is the worst of the worst.

But sorry, I like Footloose. That's some toe tapping stuff!

Nance said...

J.--I still like Footloose IF I'm in the right mood. But Meatloaf...you're right. That's why he made both of our Lists!

Anonymous said...

Meat loaf...hmmm. conjures up really bad visuals of women poorly dressed, too tight jeans too low cut shirts, really bad boot like shoes thinking they are so hot as they stumble to stay in an upright position while they are drunk and swaying at the Train Station in Elyria.....unfortunately, I have played witness to this...I survived, but it was rough

Lisa Johnson said...

I hate most of those songs too! I don't really hate Footloose though. Would I go out of my way to listen to it? No. But depending on my mood, I might not turn it if I heard it on the radio.

Love the new blog!!

Nance said...

Halley--you know, I remember chaperoning a few proms when they've played "Dashboard" and the girls and boys actually "play-act" to this song. I think that's when I stopped chaperoning proms. ICKY.

Anali--Even "Sweet Caroline?" Say it isn't so! I still love me some Neil! And thanks for the encouragement about our new blog. Just don't forget about my OTHER blogs...! ;-)

JPD said...

Mary - Alvin and The Chipmunks make me want to hurt someone or break something. I loev Lil Wayne, The Carter III is maybe the most complete rap album ever and someone sullied it by putting the song "A Milli" and making it into the chipmunks. Awful.

J - Footloose is just one of those things. I cannot stand it. I don't really know why exactly, but I do know that I hate it.

Halley - The Train Station is a strange place. I went in there for a drink and I was the youngest person there by at least 10 years. It wasn't all bad though. A former teacher bought me a drink and I did see a couple buddies there as I was leaving. But if they would have played any Meatloaf, I would have left.

Nance - Get with it. Sweet Caroline...it stinks. A lot. They play it at games and I want to just make my way over to the booth and start roundhousing people in the teeth. I do however like Neil. Shiloh is a VERY solid song and I distinctly remember listening to a Neil LP...something about hot august nights...on Sunday morning as we cleaned.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails