Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Break Time Is Over! Tell These Bores To Stuff It!


I've been a real crabass lately for a variety of reasons that I won't venture into here and now, but it's led me to create this list of

Stuff That People Need To Stop Boring Me With

1. Showing me pictures on their cellphones
2. Telling me about the dream they had
3. Making me watch them do something on the computer
4. Forcing me to wait while their baby/toddler/pet performs something
5. Compelling me to look at pictures of people I don't even know

All of these are interminably horrid. If you don't know why, please continue reading. If I've begun to bore you senseless by telling you something you already know, by all means, go read something else and accept my profound apology.

Onward.

1. This is terrible because it is ridiculously small and I cannot see it. Also, it does not stay on the screen long enough to survive the exchange from cellphone owner to cellphone viewer, and I am not cellphone savvy enough to know how to get it back on there. Already, my patience is taxed beyond belief. No picture is worth this unless it is, say, Johnny Depp naked and holding a sign saying, "NANCE, I NEED YOU. CALL ME AT (and his cell number appears here)."

2. Bill Maher, thinker and political satirist once said, "Nobody wants to hear about your dreams. That's why they play in exclusive engagements in your head." Moreover, your dreams are weird, incoherent, and make absolutely no sense, even to you. You were held hostage in the night by your dreams; that does not mean that I must be. More than once, I have had to listen to lengthy monologues that begin like this: So, I was at my house, but it wasn't my house, but it was, you know? And my mom was there, but it wasn't my mom, but it was, and she was wearing like this gold thingy on her head that wasn't exactly a crown, but I can't really explain it. Then, all of a sudden, we were at my cousin's house having dinner. And my third grade teacher was there, and this dog...." Ugh. Spare me.

3. Watching someone else do something--anything--on a computer is Almost The Epitome Of Boring. I don't care if it is a seminar at which we are suddenly told that we cannot get the software ourselves, but "It's okay! We can do the demo and you can at least See What You Could Have Been Doing!!!!" or some kid who wants me to watch him play Elmo's Happy Fun Alphabet Maze. B-O-R-I-N-G. At least serve me a martini or some wine and a few nibblies so that I don't have to grind my teeth and chew on my own hair.

4. Let's face it: everyone thinks his or her kid/pet is the cutest and the smartest and is the First One To Do Anything Charming. That's fine. Mommies and Daddies, whether their kids are animals or human, have to feel this way. It's their job. But when they inflict this on me, I have to protest--even if I keep it all inside or only vent on the Interwebs. How many of you have had the Dreaded One-Way Telephone Conversation whilst Little Wunderkind merely breathed or gummed the phone when he was supposed to be saying something? Or how many of you had to sit and watch for forty-eleven minutes while a dog cocked its head until its ears switched places because its owner swore up and down that it could say I Love You? Aaargh.

5. The Parade Of The Unknown is an event I have come to dread, especially at school. Students love to haul out massive amounts of pictures, sometimes in albums, and trumpet, "Want to see the pictures of my aunt's wedding?" HELL, NO! I want to scream at them. I used to smile and say, "Oh, sure." And then have to witness interminable snapshots of complete and total strangers with a running commentary that bordered on the bizarre thoroughness of a director's notes supplied with a DVD of a major motion picture. Finally, I just got downright brutal. Now, I say, "Will I know anyone in these photos? Are you in them? If so, pick out 6 or 7 of those, and I'll look at them. That's all I really have time for, and I don't know anyone else, so I won't need to look at any others." Sigh.

CONFESS! Do you bore people with this Stuff? Or do you have other Boring Stuff to add to my list?

9 comments:

Nance said...

Everyone--I just bored myself. I realized that I already wrote once about being bored by looking at pictures of people I don't know. Oh well. Sorry.

Jan Ross said...

That's OK; I have no memory so I forgot you already wrote about it. I agree totally with you on every point. Especially the dream one. This is a bad habit with bloggers - Truly! I don't want to hear about your dreams!

I have another one for you - iPhone apps. I don't want to hear about your cool iPhone app. Really? I don't want to hear about the fabulousness that is your iPhone. Make a call. Take a call. That's what a cell phone is for. At least for me.

Nance said...

Jan--Hi! Stop over at the Dept. once in a while to say hi, too! I thought I was the only Old Phone Fogey left in the world, so I'm really glad to hear you say that. I detest phones in general, and the more bullshit people do with their phones and talk about it/show me, the more snarky I get. My phone now--WHICH I HATE--has a camera on it. Don't use it. Hell, I never use a camera camera. Sigh.

Life at the Funny Farm said...

I completely agree with your list, and with Jan as well. I have an iPhone, and I really like what I can do with it. However, unless we happen to be talking about cell phones and you specifically ask me for my opinion, I have no interest in discussing it.

One thing I can add to the list are babies of any kind. Babies of any species are cute (sometimes) for about 30 seconds. Then I'm bored. You can't do anything with them, or interact with them very well (if at all), so... I'm done now. Let's move on.

Nance said...

Life--iPhones are way too worky for me. Phones are for talking, period. But beyond that, I am a fan of babies in general. I will hold a baby indefinitely. I don't have to "interact" with it, per se. Just hand me that baby and get on with whatever. That is the single thing I am patient with: babies. I don't get all cooey or goofy with them. I just hold the hell out of them.

JPD said...

just a couple things here:

dear everyone,

your baby looks EXACTLY like the other baby pictures ive EVER seen in my life.

sincerely,
everyone else


i dont mind looking at things on your phone. however, most of my friends know what im interested in seeing, so they either send me the pic on my blackberry or email it to me. if they dont do those two things, they figure i dont need to see it.considerate group of guys.

--
jpd

Nance said...

jared--i hate looking at most baby pictures,too, really. most newborn pictures DO look similar. even yours and your brother's, and you were MY babies.

as far as getting email and pictures ON PHONES, see the previous comments by jan and me.

Unknown said...

Nance, regarding your list:
1. Ditto.
2. Ditto.
3. Ditto.
4. Ditto.
5. Ditto.

Nance said...

Susan--I know, right? It's a shame that just SAYING it and blogging it won't matter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails