Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Top 5 Songs of Myself



Everyone has them. Everyone has a song or two that are songs of themselves. A song that you only play when you're flying solo. The shower, the car, at home alone, the dorm room while your roomie is at the library. The reason you only play them when you're alone? Because you know that you cannot stop yourself from singing them. That, and it's embarassing that you enjoy them. Ladies and gents, without further ado, my


Top 5 Songs of Myself:

1. Father Figure - by George Michael
2. Reasons - by Earth Wind and Fire
3. Before He Cheats - by Carrie Underwood
4. Bye Bye Bye - by NSYNC
5. Anything from the Grease soundtrack.

Rationale:

1. It's a really singable song. And near the end, GM gives you a chance to really belt it out and set your shower on fire with your wailings, melting the grout and causing tiles to fall from the inside of the shower walls as your voice bellows with raw sexuality and passion. Don't judge.

2. Act like I can't hit that high note. I recently caught myself doing so as though the Lady Friend was NOT seated next to me. This was awful. For me. There is no doubt, however, that she was impressed...or was it horrified? Either way, this is a great song and I owe my father big time for adding it to my repertoire of dorm room cleaning music.

3. Let's get one thing straight: Carrie Underwood is gorgeous. Also, pretty well talented. There's just something about the agression involved in that song that I really like. Everyone has wanted to do that do someone's car. (Right? Or am I nuts?) Can I sing it? God no. Do I sing it? Hell yes. But only when I am by myself.

4. I refuse to elaborate. All I will say is that I dare you to listen to it twice without singing it or doing the motion they do in the video. And don't act like you don't know the motion I am talking about.

5. Grease was the best thing that happened to me the summer before my freshman year of high school. My buddy's sister got the VHS for her birthday; we watched it once with her, then stole it. It was ours and we could not be stopped. We watched it usually once or twice a day, every day, for three months solid. I know all of the words to all of the songs. The best one, however...Summer Lovin'.

Tell me more, tell me more. What are your Songs of Myself?

15 comments:

Nina said...

I love your list!!! Its so fun!!
1.I love ANYTHING by George Michael. Even the stuff from his WHAM! days...Wake me up, before you go go...
2.I wasn't sure which one this was so I had to go have a quick listen. I think that not too many people could probably sing this and that your lady friend appreciated your candor!
3.I turn into a country superstar black version of Carrie Underwood every time I hear this song. Especially if I'm pissed off at the hubby...God help him if he ever cheats of me!
4.I was totally doing the hand motion in my head BEFORE I read your rationale. LOL!!
5.My fave is You're the One That I Want

Now for my list, not in any particular order.
1.Rock With You~Michael Jackson
2.Mama Said Knock You Out~LLCoolJ
Kiss~Prince
3.Cupid's Chokehold~Gym Class Heros
4.Sweet Thing~Mary J. Blige
5.Breathe~Anna Nalick

Nina said...

I guess that is really a list of 6 :)

Nance said...

1. I'm In Love With My Car--Queen
2. Breathe--Anna Nalick
3. You're My Best Friend--Queen
4. Drops of Jupiter--Train
5. Anything 80s because that's MY ERA!!

You know, basically any Queen. They're an anthem band as far as I am concerned, but please: the lyric line "get a grip on my boyracer rollbar/such a thrill when my radials squeal"--come on.

Hell, I can add "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen, fellow Clevelander in here, too. But, Queen--Freddie Mercury is right in my register, and I can belt it out with him in anything. Good post!

JPD said...

Nina - GREAT list yourself. I am on board with all of those I would say. Although, I am no fan of Wake Me Up Before You Go. Sorta goes in the same category as Footloose for me. Breathe is a great song. No doubt. I don't listen to it any more, though. There's a sentimentality there I don't want to get into. Suffice it to say...the song is sufficiently ruined for me.


Nance - Totally agree about Queen. I would go so far as to say that I'm In Love With My Car is my favorite Queen song of all time, and, if I had a vote on such things, their SINGLE BEST SONG OF ALL TIME. The 80's are overrated. If you like songs that make no sense, are performed by two guys with bad hair that are probably sleeping together that tote a synthesizer, the 80's are your friend. Otherwise....feh.

I do however feel the same way about that Train song. I dont know what it, but I have to sing it.

Nance said...

JPD--what is wrong with two guys sleeping together? or is it the fact that they incorporate the synthesizer? this is unlike you. aside from that, I just re-read the criteria for your Songs of Myself, and I have to say that I am not really embarrassed to sing any of them or like any of them...whether you think i should be or not. LOL.

JPD said...

My issue is EXACTLY the synth. I have 0 issue with two men sleeping together. Not my deal, but I'm not going to hold it against anyone. It just doesn't matter. I just think that the synth is brutal in some of those songs. I am like 90% sure that I had the EXACT same Playskool keyboard as the Tainted Love performers. Just sayin'...

Shirley said...

I had to think about this discussion for a while. I am not sure these qualify under your criteria because I am never really embarrassed to sing them aloud. In fact, I'll still sing them aloud if I have traveling partners ... just maybe a little less robustly. ;-)

These are not in any order, and this list is not an all-inclusive one either. LOL

Give Me One Reason--Tracy Chapman
Chasing Cars-Snow Patrol
Delilah--Plain White T's
Meet Virginia--Train
Brown-Eyed Girl--Van Morrison
Dreams--Fleetwood Mac
Bohemian Rhapsody--Queen
Pinch Me--Barenaked Ladies
One Headlight--Wallflowers
just about anything by Elton John
same for Queen (an aside that will really make me seem ultra nerdy--I heard the group featured here playing Wizards of Winter, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYyeflyMAqI&feature=related , play Bohemian Rhapsody once .. incredible, you'd have to see the performance live to believe it. Since there was no singing, I did not feel the need to sing aloud that time.)

JPD said...

Shirley - I like Tracy Champan quite a bit. People are surprised by my list, at least people that know me, because when it comes down to it, I would rather listen to rap than anything. Lil' Wayne, NaS (his new album is RIDICULOUS and VERY controversial. If you want to try something new, go to youtube and search for the song N.I.G.G.E.R or Hero. Very deep stuff, actually), or even Jay-Z. However, Fast Car by Champan is a great song. I love it. It's one of those songs that for some reason, you feel like you can identify with even though it has NOTHING to do with you.

Nina said...

JPD, did you know that the title of Nas' latest was supposed to be titled "The Nigger Album" but the record compay wouldn't have any parts of that and thus it is "Untitled". LOVE NAS!!!! Excellent live, have you seen him?

Shirley said...

JPD--Tracy has that unique style and lyrics that pull you in. She is a great, seemingly effortless storyteller. I think a compelling story is at least part of being able to identify with a song whose story with which you really have nothing in common.

Sorry, but can't do the rap. However, my son would totally agree with you! So, we are following stereotypical age preferences. LOL You did get me to go to YouTube and check out one of them though ... for a few seconds. ;-)

JPD said...

Nina - You are so right. I really with they would have let him call the album "Nigger" like he wanted to. If they would have raelly listened to what NaS was saying, they wouldn't have cared and would hve realized how revolutionary the album is to not only rap but the word "nigger" itself. People think its racist, but it couldnt be further from the opposite.

Shirley - I love the fact taht you went to listen ot that song even for a little bit. I agree with you about Tracy for sure. There's jsut something about Fast Car. Sometimes, I even feel like I'm getting choked up. Its a great tune.

JPD said...

Also, I think it bears mentioning that NaS is the second best rapper of all time after Tupac but before Weezy.

I love the fact also that his new album is simply called "untitled" it literally does not have a title.

The man is a genius, I need to see him live.

JPD said...

correction...should read "is NOT simply called untitled. it just literally does not have a title."

also i want to add Untitled (How does it feel) to the list.

Nina said...

Its official, I think I love you! You pushed me over the edge with D'Angelo. That song makes me think...oh I better not talk about that :)

JPD said...

Nina --HAHA. It's just a great song. There might only be like...12 words in in, but you know when they all come up in the song and you know EXACTLY how D sings them. It's a very relaxing song as well.

Also, I am lovable and charming. This is not surprising that you may love me. I am, however, flattered.

Haha.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails