Pages

Friday, May 15, 2009

Food, Glorious Food--Okay, Maybe Not "Glorious"


You eat it. You just won't admit it. But I will. Here are my

5 Embarrassing Foods That I Eat

1. Circus Peanuts
2. Spam
3. Liver
4. Lima Beans
5. Marshmallow Fluff

Oh shut up. Like you don't eat some of them, too.

First of all, circus peanuts are stupid, I'll admit it. Why are they orange? What is so circusy about oversized, flat-bottomed, compressed cotton-candyish marshmallow? And why aren't they peanut flavored? I don't get it either, but they taste amazing.

And if Spam is so horrifying, then why is it so incredibly popular in Hawaii? No, it does not get its name from "spamster," a genetically engineered animal specially created with no bones or hair just for its meat by the Hormel company. It is an amalgam of "spiced ham," which is what this product is. I love it cold or warmed. With these Tough Economic Times, Spam is now making a comeback. For me, it never really left. For all you Health Nuts, you can buy low fat and low sodium incarnations. I like my Spam Hi-Test.

Even grownups shudder and grimace like toddlers when I have cause to admit my love of liver. How sad. Even sadder is the fact that I can't ever have it. My family is Not On Board With Liver. No restaurants offer it on their menus because of The Vast Conspiracy Against It. My mother used to make liver almost every Monday night, sauteed in onions, and served with...

Lima beans! I am an unabashed Lima bean lover. I buy the huge Fordhook variety and, quite simply, cook the shit out of them until they are as soft and mushy as mashed potatoes. Then I put salt and a lot of black pepper and approximately eleventy pounds of real butter on them and...excuse me. I need a moment.... Sigh. Some days, I make a whole brick of Limas for my dinner. I do not share. (I never have to. Limas are another thing that No One Is On Board With. I used to pay Sam a Lima Bean Nickel at dinner for trying one. Some nights, I'd find it under the table. The bean, not the nickel.)

Finally, I eat marshmallow fluff from the jar. By itself. Don't try and stop me. You'll only get hurt.
Come on. 'Fess up. We won't tell (anyone but the Interwebs, that is). What are your food foibles?

5 comments:

Nina said...

Your choices aren't all that bad. I eat all of them except the marshmallow fluff. But I do remember eating marshmallow fluff and peanut butter sandwiches when I was little...maybe that's why I don't eat peanut butter anymore! I do however use marshmallow fluff to make fudge at Christmas time and it is delish!

My foibles, vienna sausages with saltine crackers. Yum!!! I also like to eat bacon bits mixed with sharp cheddar cheese soaked with french dressing. I guess thats all and they're not so bad :)

Nance said...

Nina--Vienna sausages...now that IS embarrassing. I don't get those at all. They are canned hotdogs. Yikes. And that last little, er, "appetizer"...hmm. I'm trying to understand it, but I cannot. Do you eat it ON anything?

I should have also confessed to my odd fondness for these. How sad; they are even guilty of an egregious spelling idiocy.

Nina said...

I do not eat my special appetizer on anything. I throw it all in a dish and have at it! I really don't know where it came from or how I discovered I like it. I suppose its because I like all the "stuff" that you put on a salad better than the salad itself.

I like those crackers too!!! I could live off of cheese and crackers. With a glass of wine, of course.

gfe--gluten free easily said...

It's been a long time since I have eaten circus peanuts. I think the last time, I thought they were way too sweet. Didn't they use that same concept for some other pastel treats? I'm remembering something for Easter baskets, like little bunnies. Does that ring a bell?

I love liver--beef (grilled or fried) and chicken (fried). I adore pate. Sometimes I crave liver dishes and have to have some soon. I just picked up some chicken livers and will be cooking them this week. The first meal I ever fixed for my hubby when we first met was chicken livers. I know that will gross some folks out. (BTW, I have a funny story about a guy in a three-piece suit showing up at my door with 5 lbs of free chicken livers that I'll have to share some day.) We love rumaki, but stopped making it for parties ... it freaked people out too much. LOL

Lima beans ... love them, too. Limas or true butter beans fresh off the vine ... heavenly. I don't mush them up though. LOL

Spam ... hubby likes putting that in his "omelets." It's tolerable to me.

Now other faves of mine that people tend go ugh over:

Corned beef hash ... fried up crispy right out of the can. Sometimes I gotta have that, too.

Split pea soup ... nobody in my family is a fan and many look with disdain at the green goop, but I love it.

Fish cakes and fried fish (perch, croakers, etc.) ... food I grew up on and still am crazy about, even though I have had to modify my "breading" and don't eat them often. They can smell bad, but they taste oh, so good!

I'm sure there are more, but all I can think of right now.

Shirley

Nance said...

Shirley--I've never had the canned corned beef hash, or any other kind of hash, for that matter. I love Underwood Deviled Ham when I mix it with cream cheese, horseradish, and shredded cheddar for a cheese spread/ball. Sometimes I smear it on a bagel. I hate fish of all kinds. Period. Ick. I love homemade split pea soup. I make a terrific ham and bean soup with some cayenne and cumin in it to spice it up.

Nina--I get it now, but it's still weird. That's okay.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails