Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Stuff For Your Sweet Tooth

Isn't it nice that the candy bar people got the idea of making miniature versions of their wares? Heretofore, if we had a hankering for a nibbly of chocolate, we had M&Ms and that was about it. I love mini foods in general, and mini candy bars in particular. And speaking of candy bars, here are my
Top 5 Go To Candy Bars
1. Hershey's With Almonds
2. Mallow Cups
3. York Peppermint Patty
4. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
5. Mars Bar

And these are pretty much in order, too.

1. If one is jonesing for a chocolate fix, there is no going wrong with a Hershey Bar. It's damn good quality chocolate for very little money. And the almonds keep the Hershey With Almonds from being boring, yet there aren't so many in it that it's annoying and a detraction from the chocolate (Snickers, take note!).

2. Mallow Cups. These are a Nostalgia Item for me. My brother Bobby used to save the cardboard coins from Mallow Cups and send them away to Boyer for a free box. All of us kids used to pitch in with our coins to hurry the process. Once the box arrived, he was always kind enough to share. Also, I am all about marshmallow. (Yes, even Peeps. Don't hate on the Peeps.)

3. The Peppermint Patty is absolutely terrific frozen. Try it. 'Nuff said.

4. Okay, first things first: IT IS PRONOUNCED "REESE'S" AS IN RHYMES WITH "PIECES." NOT "REE-SEES" AS IN RHYMES WITH "FECES." This is a fact. Geeze. I hate that. Moving on. If you do not appreciate and enjoy the peanut butter/chocolate combination, then I cannot reach/communicate with you on any level regarding confections. You are a sad person, and that makes me sad. I eat them by nibbling off the outer rim first. I highly recommend this method.

5. Do you know how tragic it is that you can no longer find a Mars Bar in the United States of America (which is my home country)? I have learned that in Scotland, they serve them covered in batter and deep-fried. I am having an episode as I think of this. Oh my.

I need to find a new candy bar to take over my #5 spot. What's your Go To Candy Bar? (I hope it's not Twix--I hate those.) Make me hungry in comments.

12 comments:

Mikey G. said...

Call me an elitist, but I've fallen in love with Ghirardelli chocolate. I think it's the most delicious chocolate in the entire world, and I don't care that it's freakin' expensive.

gfe--gluten free easily said...

1. I like Hershey's with Almonds, too. We should be grateful that's not one of the ones they reformulated:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26788143

I heard Hershey's actually petitioned to have no chocolate in their chocolate, but that could be an ugly rumor. :-(

2. Mounds (Dark chocolate and coconut have lots of health benefits!)

3. Heath Bar

4. Snickers with Almonds

5. Snickers

Snickers and Snickers with Almonds have saved me on many trips ... in airports, etc. when I needed protein and there was nothing else I could safely eat.

Shirley

Nina said...

1. Reeses Cups. This is how I rationonalize the nutritional benifites of peanut butter since I very rarely eat acutal peanut butter.

2.Almond Joy. Delish. Micah likes them too.

3.Hershey's Symphony with almonds and toffee. The toffee bits just do it for me.

4.Cadberry nut and fruit bar. This is good for a PMS situation since it's so big. You can stick it in the fridge and eat from it for a long time.

5.York peppermint patties. You can often find a mimiature bag of these stashed in my fridge that only I know know about :) I LOVE chocolate and peppermint. My favorite coffee from Arabica is the peppermint patty and my favorite brownies are the Pillsbury Chocolate with pieces of Andies Mint Candy (I always buy some extra candy to but in the batter).


I do like twix candy bars. They're good. Actually, I'm pretty much a cany junkie. I alway have been. And there really isn't too much candy that I don't like.

Mikey, I agree with you...Ghirardelli is fantastic. I loved being in San Fransico for the chocolate, forget the sea food!

Nance said...

Nina--I will, every now and then, grab an Almond Joy, but my tolerance for coconut is very limited. I have to really be in the mood. The combo of it and dark chocolate is good.

Shirley--I might be the only person in the world who dislikes the Snickers bar. Too much goin' on in there for me. The Heath bar used to be a fave but it got to be too rich for me. My dad used to love them. Have you tried Skor? That's a good toffee bar also.

Mikey--Oh, I love the little assorted Ghiardellis. Just lovely. Much better than the Lindor truffles, which are just too much--too big, too rich, and too greasy feeling. Good call!

Ortizzle said...

I'm not much of a candy bar person.

That said... Reese's PB cups are hard to stop eating. I would gladly nibble off the outer rim first if I could control the urge to bite right into the heart of it immediately so as to immediately savor the phenomenal marriage of chocolate and peanut butter.

Nestle's Crunch or Kit-kat is the only other one I would really reach for. The crunch factor in food is big for me.

CJ said...

Generally, I'll take any combination of chocolate and nuts, but I am partial to Three Musketeers.

JPD said...

no love for the 100 grand? what about almond joy? im going to go out on a limb and say that mallow cups are not candybars, they are just candy.

although hershey's with almonds is always fantastic.

--
jpd

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Snickers are not usually my choice, but again they provide a lot of protein and energy when I don't have other food options. I can also eat one on the back of the motorycycle easily while we're on the move. ;-)

I actually probably eat Skor more than Heath now that you reminded me of that one. Very good.

Shirley

Nance said...

Shirley--There's a new blogpost for you: GFE on the Back of a Bike.

JPD--Mallow Cups are candy bars. 100 Grand sometimes hurt my mouth when I bite into them. Candy should not hurt.

CJ--I used to be crazy over the 3 Musketeers. Then all of a sudden, I went off of them. I have no idea why!

Ortizzle--Oooh, I wavered about those two, but the quality of the Nestle's chocolate is not as good, IMHO, as the Hershey. But KitKat...now I am a fan of those, esp. since you can break off a slab and save the rest.

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Nance--LOL I think a post along those lines will be coming for sure, but I like your title. :-)

Shirley

J. said...

Three Musketeers is my serious Go To Candy. It looks BIG, but it doesn't fill you up. After that I love Nestle Crunch Bars. Baby Ruths are my guilty pleasure though. They take me back to my college days when a Baby Ruth and a Dr. Pepper were my lunch of choice!

Nance said...

J.--Whenever I got a Baby Ruth in my trick-or-treat bag, it was major trade time. sorry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails