Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

We're Such Party Animals: Another Little Event, And This One Is So Smart!

It's still Dinner Party Time, and you're the host or hostess. You're feeling like some especially stimulating conversation about Big Ideas--you know, inventions, concepts, the kinds of things that require labs, a whole talk show to themselves, or a whole book to explain. So, for this round, you tell us which 3-5 Big Thinkers (still alive and kicking) you'd invite for dinner. This one is a toughie, I know.

Top 3 Big Thinker Dinner Party Guests

1. Stephen Hawking
2. Dalai Lama
3. Richard Branson

Okay. Tell me this dinner party isn't going to be a hoot. You've got Stephen Hawking, who will be using his synthetic voice device, explaining the entire universe in scientific terms. Then, you've got the Dalai Lama, who will be metaphysical and serene and wise and ethereal. Then, for a whole lot of very mercenary fun, you've got Sir Richard Branson of the megabusiness Virgin Freaking Everything, who basically has formed ventures ranging from selling records out of the trunk of his car to opening a chain of healthcare clinics. (No, I am not kidding.)

Plus, I know I'd get plenty out of the conversation. Now, your turn. Which bigheaded smartypants people are on your list?

5 comments:

Ortizzle said...

If the smartypants can be dead, the big-thinkin' ones would be:

1. Carl Sagan
2. Nikola Tesla
3. Benjamin Franklin

If they can't be dead, I dunno...
Anyway, don't tell me I have ruined it for the Dead People Dinner Party, because that would include people from all walks of life, right? :-)

Nance said...

Ortizzle--I love you so very, very much that I will attribute your lapse of careful attention to The Rules--carefully included--to trepidation over The New Job.
Case In Point (and I'm quoting from text here: "tell us which 3-5 Big Thinkers (still alive and kicking) you'd invite for dinner." Sigh.

Now, as far as your Illegal Choices, let me just say this. I have a horrid, horrid and long-established, deep-seated prejudice against Benjamin Franklin. It is unshakable and immovable, and far too complex to go into here. But that's okay. I also owe you a nice, newsy email.

I am a terrible pen pal. (Keyboard pal?) Sigh.

Ortizzle said...

1. Gabriel García Márquez
2. Rigoberta Menchú
3. Robert Kiyosaki

As far as I know, the blood is still coursing through their veins.

I would love to know the reason for your loathing of B.F., no doubt well-founded. Perhaps it will be the subject of a blog post one day. (That is NOT a suggestion intended to create more work for you, something which I apparently am quite good at. *G*)

Megan said...

1. Jimmy Buffett, for the tunes and because I love him
2. Jon Stewart, for the laughs
3. A white house staffer with fun anecdotes of the previous morons shenanigans

Nance said...

Megan--I never thought of Jimmy Buffett as a big thinker; same with Jon Stewart. But they'd be good at perhaps the previous dinner party?

Ortizzle--Probably my loathing of BF started when I was assigned excerpts of his autobiography in high school...LOL, and then became more deeply-rooted when I realized that he got a hell of a lot of credit for being a self-made man when in fact he got by on a lot of help from his friends. He also cribbed a lot from Shakespeare in his aphorisms, but he was hailed as being so folksy-wise and sharp. He came up with his big plan for self-improvement, but he failed in it and then sort of just tsked it away. I feel like he gets a ton of glory, yet he really wasn't that big of a deal.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails