Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2009

How's That Workin' For Me?


I am really awful at some stuff. I know, it is hard to believe but I promise you that it is true. I am awful at math, returning phone calls, most video games that aren't sports, and separating laundry before I wash it.

However, there are a few things that I am undeniably outstanding at. Will they ever get me anywhere? Maybe. Is that the point? Be serious, people. Of course it isn't. Try to hold yourself back from wanting to come to my house and spend time with me. It may be difficult, but please, the outpouring of affection will do nothing but embarrass us both when I enumerate the


5 Things I'm Terrific At

1. Fantasy Football
2. Ninja Moves
3. Pouring a Soda
4. Countdowns
5. Moving A Couch Bed

Let us explore my aptitude in each area with varying degrees of detail.

1. I just get it. I understand value. I understand matchups. I understand players' roles. But the kicker (watch for falling puns)? I am a master at managing the salary cap. For instance: Quarterback is simply the most overvalued position there is. Why spend $50 fake cash against a $550 cap when for only 50 total points less on the season you can have a very good QB for only 24 dollars of your fake money? You know how long a season is in fantasy? 14 weeks. 50 points over 14 weeks isn't even 4 points per week. Go stock up on backs and for Christ's sake, please get at least two top 35 WR. You'll thank me.

2. I am nimble. I am quick. And I have unparalleled execution. What? Dad isn't paying attention at the dinner table? KARATE CHOP HIS ASS UNDER THE TABLE! Now he's back with us. What? Nance is silently wondering what a double ninja kick off of the arm of the loveseat would look like? BAM! Now she knows. She wants another? FINE! SMASH. You're welcome, Mom. Sam thinks he is safe on his way to the kitchen? WRONG! BLAMMO! A good solid swat will make him think twice next time he thinks he needs dinner! Don't be afraid to practice them, either. But do it in front of people. That's how ninjas do. Make people think they know what your go-to move is...then...at just the right time...hit 'em with a flying-double-punch into a mule-kick! Now that's what the fuck is up!

3. You laugh, but I implore you, do not. This is an art. You ever tried pouring a ginger ale? Good luck dealing with that fizz. Here is how you do it. DO NOT pour, wait for the fizz to subside, and then pour more. Always stay pouring. That's right. Just gauge your speed. Slow it down, speed it up, keep it guessing. Also, please, I beg you, avoid the ice. I have a theory that cold = more fizz. But you have to have the ice in there first to account for the volume ratio of ice to soda. These are huge factors here. I warn, it's going to make a prolonged fizzing sound as the effervescent glory enters your vessel for glorious consumption. Tune it out. It'll be worth it.

4. This one is so important. And, like the others, has real life application. Counting down the hours before we can leave work is something that we all do. Even if we love our job. Here is an example: It is 3 o' clock and you can leave at 5. As soon as it is 3:05, do not think "almost two hours still." Think "less than two hours left! Pretty soon, it'll be an hour and a half!" See what I did there? This way, once you hit that 90-minute mark, you can think "we are almost at an hour left, and an hour is nothing!" I cannot tell you how many days this has gotten me through. Try it. If you aren't 100% satisfied, return this method for a disparaging remark of your choice.

5. It is hard work, moving a couch bed. Do this though: do not, under any circumstances take the bed part out. Why? Well, then you have to put it together. I recently navigated a couch bed down three flights of winding stairs and through hallways about 6 feet wide with my friend Paul. It took about 25 minutes but was worth it. The amount of satisfaction at the end is unparalleled. We talked about it for two days like we cured cancer, delivered a child, and won an election all in the same day. Oh, and a word of advice: don't be afraid to flip that bitch end over end...vertically. You'll thank me.

So, fans, what are you good at? What is one thing you do that you think "wow, I am really fucking good at that; too bad nobody cares and it doesn't matter"? It does matter. To me, at least. Plus, if we cannot have these things, these small upsides, these super important meaningless things, well...how sad would we all be?

--
JPD

3 comments:

Tiana said...

Hahaha...Ninja Moves cracked me up. I am still laughing. Which actually hurts, because I have the piggy flu and all of the coughing has made my abs REALLY sore.

My flu-adddled brain can only think of one right now.

1. Cracking an Egg
I kid you not. Have you ever seen the movie Sabrina? Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart? Well, it's not THAT great, but there is a scene in which Hepburn is in cooking school in France and the instructor tells the class to "put the egg out of its misery." You don't make it suffer, you just give it a quick but forceful tap on the side of the pan. Really. My boyfriend has, unprompted by myself, complimented me on this impressive ability.

Nina said...

Wow, JPD! Impressive! I especially like the ninja moves!

For me...

1.Dicing an onion, quickly. I figure I should be pretty darn proud of this since there is always a quickfire challenge on Top Chef where the contestants must do just that. When I'm chopping away while wearing my Iron Chef apron, I feel like I could chop anything! I've got skillz, baby. Knife skillz, that is.

2.Score a bargin. I don't pay full price for ANYTHING. Ever. Period. My husband is always amazed at how much I can buy and how little I spend. I do have a method that allows me to accomplish this but I'm not sharing it. You'll have to wait for my infomercial or something. Maybe I'll share my secrets on Rachel Ray while chopping onions one day, who knows!?


Thats all for now!

Mikey G. said...

1. Math. We don't need to talk about that (but I had to comment on it, since you mentioned it first).

2. Finding cheap airfares. I am the master at this. Domestic, international, whatever! I saved my friend something like $300 on her flight to South Africa, and she had looked at all of the major travel websites.

3. Texting quickly, with proper spelling and grammar. If you text on a regular basis, you should get comfortable enough to text quickly. It should be easier for you to spell out entire words then 4 u 2 read dis. This just makes me want to vomit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails