Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2009

C'Mon, People, Get With The Program!

Patience is a virtue, I get that. But, really, can't we all pull together and put a stop to some seriously annoying crap out there? I have to think that the following things are universally detested.
5 Things People Have To Stop Doing
1. Dressing their dogs
2. Leashing their kids
3. Talking on cellphones while being helped by service/wait staff
4. Stopping to chat with friends in high-traffic areas at stores, restaurants, banks, etc.
5. Waiting for a parking spot, therby clogging up an entire lane of traffic

I honestly don't feel that any of these needs any explanation on my part. Any dressed-up dog is completely ashamed and embarrassed. You can see it in its eyes. It's mortified and suicidal. Same with a leashed kid. That is, plain and simple, poor parenting on display. Or lazy parenting, at least. Disgusting. And if I were a waiter or cashier or teller in this Age Of Cellphones, I'd immediately stop whatever I was doing and wait for the rude customer to finish. And then tell her/him so. It's pathetic how cellphones have diminished the level of basic civility in our society. Now, as far as these mini-reunions that seem to spontaneously occur in the center of grocery aisles, crowded anterooms of restaurants, and lobbies of banks, these individuals need to remember that they are not the only people in the world, and that these are places of business. Certainly, it is pleasant and serendipitous to see a long-lost friend or unexpectedly encounter a distant cousin, but step aside and do your hugging out of the way! Some of us have things to do and do not wish to take all day to do them. Finally, when I--and others--go shopping, that does not include "for a parking spot." I am not afraid to walk for about 15 seconds to get to the door of the mercantile and commence my business. I am not about to sit in an active aisle of traffic and gum up the works because I see someone with a stroller who looks like she might be headed toward the red minivan that is parked conveniently close to the front door of the Target. Move your damn car, slide your fat ass out of the seat, and walk.

Oh, thank you.

7 comments:

Nina said...

OOOhhh...I'm guily, guilty guilty. It's no secrect that I dress my dog. And I have to tell you, HE HATES IT! But it cracks me up so I do it anyway.
I won't leash my kid. Jason says that if I ever do that we're getting divorced. Actually, he just reminded me yesterday when he saw a kid leash at the store.
I try to be very aware of how rude it is to talk on my phone at ceratin times. I will usually hang up during a check out (I try not to use my phone at all while I'm out to eat) or tell the person to hang on.
I don't care to stop and chat with long lost friends or anyone else when I'm out shopping. I'm out shopping, duh!! And I hate the people who want to reconnect while you're sitting down somewhere eating. I'm eating!!!!
Waiting for a parking spot. This depends on if I'm alone or with the baby. If I'm with the baby, I'm waiting. Lugging the stroller, diaper bag plus my giant purse is enough, I'm not walking fifteen miles too. And If I don't have a stoller, I'll wait FOREVER, Micah is getting heavy. Selfish? Yes. Do I really care? Not at all. Sorry.If I'm alone I really don't care where I park.

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Most people who dress their dogs either have no children and think their dogs are their children or are empty nesters and have to now transfer that aspect of their parenting personality to their dogs (yes, they were the ones that had three outfits a day for their kids when they were growing up). This will continue with the latter group until they have grandchildren to dress in a silly way. (We have some in each category in DH's family.)

Leashing ... the only reasonable explanation I've heard for this is with children with disabilities who can easily wander off.

Cellphones are just horrid everywhere. My cell phone is a rarely used item, and I certainly do not use it while I am dining. I usually turn it off in a restaurant unless some family emergency is occurring, then I'd put it on vibrate, excuse myself, and leave the dining area.

I will definitely stop and chat with people, but always off to the side. Those places are your best opportunities to run into friends sometimes, but I agree about the people who stand in the middle of the aisle and then act irritated when you try to pass by.

Nope, not waiting for a parking spot. I lose a lot of good ones that way, but I figure I always need the walking ... how much longer does it take?

I am adding people leaving their shopping carts in the middle of the grocery store parking lot. That is the epitome of laziness to me. If they just walked around the entire store using the damn thing, I think they can at least walk it over and put it in the proper spot.

Thanks!
Shirley

Mikey G. said...

The problem with the parking space dilemma is that sometimes (at least out here) a parking lot will be 100% full, and the only way to get a spot is to stalk people. It's unfortunate, but sometimes it's necessary.

Nance said...

Mikey--Are you trying to get me to sanction that? LOL. If a lot is full, I can see that. But just to get a closer spot, forget it. When parking is available, but someone is just too lazy to walk a few yards, then that's just unacceptable.

Shirley--good point about the cart. i can see if it is a mom who has bundled her kids into car seats and is squeamish about leaving them to walk the cart all the way over to a cart return. who needs the stress of leaving kids alone in a car and possibly having someone call you out on it? no good answer there, really. parking lots are dangerous to have loose kiddles around. drivers are many times clueless, and kids are quick.

nina--selfishness is a terrible thing. look how young and fit you are! and stop humiliating your poor dog. remember karma. what if one day, the world is ruled by small dogs with a grudge. you'll be in for it. LOL.
p.s.--ditto on interrupting people while dining at a restaurant. HATE THAT LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Gawd. I could so have written that list!

People driving around and around for a parking space 5 inches closer to the front door really need to think seriously about getting some exercise. And cell phones in public? And the other parking pet peeve of mine: People who park their Big Ass SUVs and trucks in the Compact Car Spaces when there are plenty of Big Ass spaces to use (but farther away, of course!). Gaaaaahhhh. (If you feel the same about this, check out this cool website which has exactly the same idea I have had for years:
http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com

Cell phones: To that, I can only add: Stop telling the story of your life, complete with the gory details of your gall bladder operation, in a huge booming voice while you are WAITING IN LINE. I don't want to hear it. Really. I don't. Text it to your pals if you must. That way at least your fingers will get some exercise, lol.

Anonymous said...

Oops! The "cell phones in public" phrase did not get edited out of the first part of my rant. I had also wanted to b*tch about people causing accidents while texting and yakking on their cell phones. But I don't even have time to go into that one. Not without blowing my stack again, so I will just leave you with the text of a great bumper sticker: "Hang up and drive!"
:-))

Nance said...

Ortizzle--I concur completely with all your sentiments. I've seen that sticker, btw. For some drivers, hanging up would include their KEYS. LOL.

I'm off to check out your link.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails