Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

In Which I Cease My Incessant Bitching


OK. I know I complain a lot. But in fairness, it isn't like there is any shortage of stuff to bitch about.

Now, however, I flip the script. Today, readers, not only will I prolifically and profusely use commas, I will find things to be plus-side about. Plus-side is a new word I have come up with. The meaning is obvious. If it isn't, sound it out.

Without further ado, though there is much ado about plus-siding (VERB!), my

List Of Happies
1. Lifting weights
2. Next weekend
3. Vintage friends
4. The Browns
5. Colin Cowherd
6. Dance Moves

*Honorable mention: my flawless comma usage. (It's almost sexual.)

How come the happiness, or, if you will, plus-sides? Alas, I divulge.

1. It has been a few months of steady lifting so far, and despite my general hatred for exercise, I am enjoying it. A lot. I am noticing very nice results, blowing off some steam, and there is something other than eating and boozing to fill my spare time, however little I may get. Plus, when my brother goes along, it is a nice chance to hang out one on one. Plus-sides galore.

2. My best friend, who shall remain nameless to protect his innocence and potentially his reputation, lives just outside of Columbus in Dublin. I haven't seen him in a couple of months, and I work like crazy, so I requested a weekend off of work to go see him and some other friends. What will we do? Booze, mainly. But also catch up, maybe be athletic, go to dinner, and enjoy some good old fashioned time together. It is going to be amazing. Perhaps post-worthy.

3. Sort of piggy-backing on 2 here. Some of the old friends I will see there are people I was never particularly close with, but have recently reconnected with. It's nice to see them and hang out and do some catching up. Also, I have rekindled a bromance with a friend from a few years ago that, for no good reason, I fell out of touch with. All in all, a very positive experience. I love that we all just pick up where we left off. Only guys can do this. Ladies, take note.

4. For some reason, it brings me great joy when the Cleveland Browns are as bad as they are. And folks, they may be HISTORICALLY bad. I mean like, 2-14 bad. Browns fans have a tendency to be obnoxiously optimistic every year, and most of them are delusionally defensive of their group of sorries. Plus, the Unintentional Comedy Scale is on the verge of having to be redefined every Sunday. Open letter to Browns fans:

Dear Depressed Browns Nation,
0 playmakers + 0 coaching + good division + tough schedule = FAIL FAIL FAIL PUNT!
Sincerely,
The Guy That Tried To Tell You This Two Months Ago

I feel better.

5. The single best guy in radio. Do yourself a favor and youtube "Colin Cowherd Purdue Fan". Even if you don't care about sports, do it. The sports part is irrelevant and not the point I am making here. You're welcome. Keep in mind it is a radio show, so none of the visual stuff is actually part of the show. He is, unapologetically, ruthless. He tells it like it is, calls people out for being myopic, biased, and delusional (Browns fans). He is practical, open about his personal life, and doesn't take himself or sports too seriously. I listen to his show, which airs M-F from 10-1 in the afternoon on ESPN Radio, before bed on my computer. It is a breath of fresh air.

6. Oh my god, dance moves. I have several. My nimbleness borders on stupid, that's how impeccable it is. They have names such as, but not limited to: Get That Bug, Glass Cutters, Windmill, Stuck Right Here, and my personal favorite, Just The Hips AKA I'll have a G&T. I execute them regardless of the presence of any music, anyone else dancing, where I am, or who is watching. I don't care. I have also recently re-visited the slow dance. I have taken it upon myself to attempt to dance with my mother any time there is cheese, or a cheeselike food present. I call it "Cheese Dance". Usually it goes like this:

JARED: Is that cheese?
MOM: Sigh, Yes, Jared. This is cheese.
JARED: Alright, stop right there. Cheese Dance.
MOM: Again? Jared...
JARED: Don't fight it, Mom.

I recently convinced a woman at a bar that she had better slow dance with me during a Journey song. A particularly LOOOONG Journey song. She obliged, and was subsequently swept away into a world she had not likely known heretofore. Legitimately, she was enjoying herself. About four minutes in I gave her an out by saying ,"We don't have to dance the whole song if you don't want to". Her response? "No, that's fine. It's fun." Damn skippy it is. The catch? Married Woman. I had no way of knowing.
Open Letter:
Dear Betrothed Woman Upon Whom I Recently Bestowed The Pleasure Of A Spontaneous Slow Dance,
Did you enjoy the plus-side that was our slow dance?
You're welcome.
Sincerely,
The Greatest And Best Dancer Ever, Who Took You To Dancing Heights You Had Previously Only Thought Of In Movies But Never Even Dreamed Of, As The Human Mind Is Incapable Of Dreaming Of Such Wonder

So, what are your plus-sides? Or, better than that, what are your dance moves called? And please, don't act like you A) don't dance, or B) don't name your moves.

--

JPD

9 comments:

Tiana said...

Man. My boyfriend is a swing instructor, so all the dance moves we do already have names. I should assert my independence and either 1. formulate my own dance moves or 2. rename the existing ones. They all have pretty ridiculous names, anyway. The cuddle? Lolly kicks? Disgusting.

Here are some of my plus-sides. I don't know if this is a definitive list, because it's 1:18 am, but it's pretty close.

1. Sales at Kroger
For about three months, my favorite disgustingly indulgent food (organic pop tarts...I know, it's terrible in multiple ways) was on sale for about $2.30 a box--normally nearly four bucks. It brought me joy all summer. Alas, they are regularly priced once again, but the applesauce is on sale!

2. Living down the street from two pizza places
Really, I am so lucky. I just moved into a house which is down the street from a Papa John's as well as a local pizza place that is even better. It's not good for my health or my wallet, but it's delicious.

3. Incense
Call me what you will, but it's the only thing not full of chemicals that combats the dog smell in my carpet left over from the tenant before last.

Mikey G. said...

If I haven't yet, sometime I need to tell you about the time I danced on stage at The Apollo.

And as far as Next Weekend, I thought you meant just the general idea of the Next Weekend, which is a happy in itself.

Life at the Funny Farm said...

Happiness items:

1. Equines of all kinds. Just being around them makes my blood pressure drop and makes me smile. Even if they're being stupid. Well mostly. They beat out all other creatures as my favorites, with the exception of a select group of humans and a feline here and there.

2. Ice cream. The perfect food. The MOST perfect food. If you think about anything green, just for a nano-second, while eating ice cream, it covers all the food groups. New favorite: Fresh and Easy Market's Roasted Banana Gelato. Oh. My. God!!!

3. TV shows done by people with working brains: House, Lie to Me, Psych, Monk, Burn Notice, In Plain Sight, Dexter, and one or two others.

4. A hot shower at night. Nothing like it to get rid of the sweat and dirt of the day and then going to bed all clean. Yum...

5. I actually don't dance, but my daughter does. She is the California embodiment of Elaine from Seinfeld: Frog in a Blender. Really truly--and kinda scary.

JPD said...

tiana -- that is the sorriest bunch of shitnames for dance moves ever. youre assignment:

1. rename the old ones based on what you do when you do them, or what else you can do while you do them.

2. stop referring to them by old names immediately.

3. repeat.

4. make up new ones but dont say "i want a move called..." just do a sponateous move one day, and name it based on the criterea described in one.

also, if pop-tarts is your vice, i recommend: gin, twinkies, bacon, and red swedish fish. live a little!

mikey -- yeah. im gonna need to hear about that. and i agree totally about the next weekend thing. although, i dont want to wish away THIS weekend...see what i am saying there?

L@FF -- also, ben and jerry's creme brule ice cream is retarded good. i had to stop about three bites in or i was going to be on an icy sugary slope of ice cream goodness. i nearly made out with the container. partially to ruin it for others.

i love big bang theory. really. it is the second best show on TV. the first is obviously the office. its almost too funny. i love how it is PAINFUL to watch michael sometimes.

thanks for the words.

Tiana said...

Fun fact: I have never had a Twinkie.

Nancy said...

Nance,

You think the Browns are bad? Try being a Philadelphia Eagle fan for 40 years.

We recently had a player dismissed and he was so angry he threw his playbook away and it was found in the trash and published in the Inquirer.

It went like this: We get the ball and :

1st down:Black guy runs right
2nd down: Black guy runs left
3rd down: Same play,different black guy.
4th down: White guy kicks....

That's how our season goes,year after year......

Nance said...

Nancy--LOL. Dear, this post was written by Jared, not me. I do, however, agree that the Browns are incredibly and, possibly, inherently bad. --Nance

Nance said...

Briefly, a few plus-sides for me lately:
1. a return to shoe-shopping and the score of 5 new pairs.
2. HULU.com
3. a very tolerant and patient husband.

#2. now that "Fringe" is on at the same time as "The Office", I don't want to wait till summer reruns (which start in what, February??!!) to watch one or the other. SO! My wonderful #3 hooks up his magic cable and laptop, and we are able to catch up on one or the other on an Off TV Night. Isn't he wonderful? For that and putting up with so much more of My Extraneous Bullshit.

Melinda said...

Re: Tiana - "I've never had a Twinkie"....that makes two of us! Way too gross for me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails