Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Hey, All You Elitists Out There!


I hope all of you are keeping score out there. Pretty soon this is going to be Stuff On My List.

Just sayin'.

Onward.

Yesterday, I had a lovely snack of brie and apples after school, and it got me to thinking about how, if Some People heard about that, I'd be accused of Being A Snob. Well, that would be fine with me, but it would be silly. Like all that flap about Barack Obama and the Democratic Party being elitist. What a load of bullshit.

Anyway. Here's a list of So-Called

Snobby Stuff I Like

1. Brie
2. The Shaw Festival
3. Champagne
4. Nonfiction
5. NPR

How hilarious is this list? Oh, I could add more, but this is representative of the stuff I mention in conversation that gets me the sort of looks and comments that earn me the Snob label.

Brie? I get mine in the grocery store. Champagne is easily gotten at any retail outlet that sells wine and is available under so many labels that it's no big deal. And the "P" in NPR stand for Public, for heaven's sake. How is it snobby? The nonfiction thing is a puzzler, too. I guess people are befuddled by the fact that I am an English teacher, yet I don't choose to read "stories." I'm a student by nature--I love to learn things. I guess Jared said it best once when he said that when you're done reading a nonfiction book, it never really ends; you can continue to research the topic online or in other books and sources and keep finding more out about it. That's a big reason why I prefer nonfiction. Its stories never end. Finally, the Shaw Festival is a wonderful place to see terrific professional plays in excellent venues, and it's in Canada, one of my favorite vacation spots. I really enjoy live theater, and the Shaw produces dramas that happen to be written by some of my favorite playwrights.

Am I a snob? In some ways, yes, I'll admit I am. Do these things make me a snob? I don't think so. What snobby Stuff do you enjoy?

3 comments:

Alex said...

In addition to liking nonfiction and being an English teacher, I would add good grammar and not wanting to be completely incompetent online. On my list, I would include C-SPAN, hummus, coffee not from McDonald's or a gas station, and the New York Times. ...I think it's the NE Ohio in me. Have you seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr3ftmvO7Oc

I think that may be the epitome of elitist. My KSU College Dems and I can't get enough of that.

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Love that pic! ;-) I adore baked Brie. (It's been a little harder to enjoy it since I've gone gluten free and have not found a cracker I really like.) I've been reading mostly non-fiction for years now.(The novels my sister keeps passing on are gathering dust on my shelves.) Hubby and I both have a passion for learning. I think learning keeps one young. BTW, that Jared keeps amazing me with his nuggets of wisdom!

Hmmm ...

1. Well, believe it or not, some people think my gluten free diet is being an elitist. Clearly, they DON'T get it.

2. The fact that my husband and I stay in B&Bs when we go on our motorcycle trips. We just like to enjoy some history (most B&Bs are historical homes), get more of a feel for an area (B&B owners love to share), and interact with other people. Cost wise, it's usually not much different than your run-of-the-mill motel.

3. Artichokes ... we love steamed artichokes even when we are camping. Some people think that's odd. Most of the time, the checkers at the grocery store ask me what they are. I am tempted to say avocado once and see if I'll get my $2 or better artichokes for the $.99 sale price of avocados. ;-)

4. Fiji water--I don't want to fill up our landfills with any more plastic bottle either, but I love that water. Don't tell me anything else bad about it ... I don't want to know. I don't indulge often though. It's not carried at our local Grub Kitty (aka Food Lion).

5. Organic anything--A lot of folks thing that it's a waste of money on food that they declare is not necessarily any better. True on some stuff IMO, but some organic stuff is fabulous. We often stop at an organic market on the way to our mtn property. The beef and veggies are incredible.

I know there are more, and maybe better, examples for me, but I can't think of them right now. I distinctly recall telling hubby in the past that certain dishes weren't "fit for human consumption," but I am drawing a blank right now on what they were. LOL

And, while I consider myself one of the most personable people you'll meet, I also sometimes have a low tolerance for others who display a lack of manners, lack of desire to better themselves, etc. So, I guess I am a snob in other ways as well.

Shirley

Nance said...

Shirley--I've never eaten a fresh cooked artichoke in my life. Wow, are you ever a SNOB! LOL. Oh, and Jared who? Hee hee.

Alex--Oh, thanks. I forgot how mentioning that I'm an English teacher automatically vaults me into Snobdom. LOL. This will too: I make my own hummus.
And thanks for the YouTube ref. I watched it and LOVED IT. I've been saying that for YEARS, along with so many of my DemFriends.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails